At Hotel Felix Chicago we want to provide an unforgettable experience while making you Happy. Naturally. The word “felix” means “happy” in Latin, and since opening our doors in 2009 we’ve been living up to that name through environmentally sustainable practices, friendly service, and a playful spirit that promises to bring a smile to your face.
When entering Hotel Felix, guests are greeted by a ceiling-high mosaic of logs, a water pond, and delicate orbs floating over a gentle fireplace. These elements not only create a calming atmosphere throughout the lobby, but also symbolize an “earth, wind, fire, and water” theme that embodies our commitment to the environment.
As the first eco-friendly hotel in Chicago with Silver LEED certification, Hotel Felix Chicago showcases a wide array of sustainable features:
- Natural southern exposure, which aids in heating building in winter months
- Preserved building structure in re-development, which prevented non-biodegradable materials going to landfills
- Exterior sculptures made from reclaimed materials
- Low energy-use lighting, such as compact fluorescent & LED throughout building
- "Recycling Room" used by the hotel to sort recyclables
- Use of USGBC approved cleaning supplies that are earth friendly
- Use of free trade coffees and chocolates
Hotel rooms & accommodations:
- Carpet made of recycled material
- Motion Sensor Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning in all guest rooms
- Water waste reduction valve
- Florescent lighting throughout the building
- Linen reuse program in use
- Full Recycling program in use
- Enhanced energy management system
- Eco Friendly Chemicals are used for cleaning room & linens
- No bleach used
- Products low VOC & Green Seal certified
- Eco-friendly products used for services
- Bamboo flooring
- Decorative walls made of recycled material
- Recycled floor
- Cups & wipes are recyclable
Mezzanine/business center/meeting rooms:
- Cork floor in meeting rooms and business center
- 100% smoke free building
- Low voltage lighting
- Featuring organic locally roasted coffee and teas
- Front desk paperless to reduce waste
- Recycle trash cans located at the desk and in all offices
- Newspapers available in lobby daily with limited supply to reduce waste
We care about implementing eco-friendly practices throughout every part of Hotel Felix, and our artwork is no exception. On Earth Day 2010, the hotel welcomed a 7-foot-tall doorman who is made out of recycled pipes, an umbrella stand, a drill bit, and topped with a milk bucket head. This sculpture is called “Loren the Doorman”, and artist Allen Christian crafted him completely from found and reclaimed materials.
To celebrate Earth Day 2011 and 2012, we commissioned two additional sculptures to keep Loren company. Today, hotel visitors are greeted outside by “Loren”, "Madeline, The Baker’s Wife", and a metal dog named “Scrappy”. This family of sustainable artwork reflects the whimsical and fun spirit of the Hotel Felix, so you can start feeling Happy. Naturally. from the moment you arrive.
Hotel Felix is proud to work with some of the best businesses and organizations in the Chicago area. Our partners include:
Stash Hotel Rewards
Earn Stash points toward free nights when you stay at Hotel Felix and other distinctive hotels.
Troquet Restaurant in Chicago
French Bistro dining at our on-site signature restaurant.
Spa Boutique - Felix
Spa services at Hotel Felix
Visit Holiday Inn Express Magnificent Mile, our sister property.
Creator of our eco-friendly outdoor sculptures.
TravelClick - Hotel Internet Marketing
News & Press
03/29/2016 - Earth Month News Release 2016
12/08/2015 - Hotel Felix Named a 2015 Best of +VIP Access Hotel by Expedia
03/24/2015 - Earth Month News
06/13/2014 - Stay and Bike 2014
03/31/2014 - Hotel Felix Earth Month 2014
08/12/2013 - Divvy and Hotel Felix
05/02/2013 - Hotel Felix Selected as TripAdvisor GreenLeader
02/26/2013 - Hotel Felix Launches Enhanced Website
01/30/2013 - Hotel Felix Chicago Recommended by Latest 2013 Chicago Michelin Guide
04/02/2012 - Hotel Felix Earth Month
12/12/2011 - Hotel Felix Named Greenest Venue
09/29/2011 - Greater North Michigan Avenue Association Award
07/12/2011 - Stash Partner with Hotel Felix
03/16/2011 - LEED Certification Unveiling Event
08/02/2010 - Hotel Felix Chicago Earns LEED Silver Certification